A design build team led by Lendlease (US) Construction LMB Inc. and Turner Construction — with tvsdesign — was selected by Empire State Development Corporation to oversee the expansion of the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center.
The Jacob K. Javits Convention Center is the busiest convention center in the United States, hosting events on 337 days in 2015. Located on Manhattan’s West Side on Eleventh Avenue between West 34th and West 40th Streets, the six-block facility encompasses 2.1 million square feet, of which 840,000 square feet is exhibition space. It hosts trade shows, conventions, and special events that spur economic activity and job creation. In 2015, the facility hosted more than 175 events and two million visitors – ultimately supporting 17,700 jobs locally and generating an estimated 483,000 nightly hotel room reservations. In total, the Javits Center had an economic impact of $1.9 billion in 2015.
This historic project will enlarge the Javits Center by a staggering 1.2 million square feet, amounting to a fivefold increase in meeting room space. The expansion’s sweeping changes will effectively create a new Javits Center—one that is destined to make a dramatic leap to the top tier of the world’s convention centers.
The expansion will reroute 20,000 event-related trucks off area streets each year, reducing the move-in and move-out process for events by 30% and freeing up an additional 20 days for new events
Highlights of the massive expansion include:
- 90,000 square feet of permanent exhibit space, to be combined with current exhibit space, to create an approximately 500,000-square-foot exhibition hall.
- 45,000 square feet of meeting room space.
- 55,000 square-foot ballroom, the largest of its kind in the New York region.
- Green roof terrace and pavilion accommodating 1,500 people for outdoor events.
- LEED Silver certification.
- An on-site truck marshaling facility with room for more than 230 event and exhibit-related trucks.
- 27 new loading docks.
- Added kitchen and food service areas; and Back-of-House and administrative space.